Gulfstream Cancels Friday for Safety Review; Will Resume Racing Saturday With No Spectators
(Editor's Note--Gulfstream Park has called off its race card scheduled for today, Friday March 20, when it will review its safety and health protocols at its track in Hallandale Beach and at its Gulfstream Park West/Calder and Palm Meadows training facilities.
Gulfstream will resume racing on Saturday with twelve races and first post of 12:45 p.m.
It will continue racing with no spectators as it seeks to comply with federal and Florida government guidelines on restrictions of events with large numbers of people amid the coronavirus pandemic.
Gulfstream issued the following news release on Thursday evening:
HALLANDALE BEACH, FL - At Gulfstream Park, Gulfstream Park West and Palm Meadows, the health, safety and welfare of every person and every horse in our community is our top priority. With that in mind, Gulfstream Park will suspend racing for one day, Friday, March 20, to update its protocols in a number of areas, including the Jockeys’ Room. Racing is scheduled to resume on Saturday, March 21.
Last week, Gulfstream Park took strict measures to limit exposure by closing the facility to the public for live racing and simulcast. Gulfstream Park has operated in full compliance with all government and local health orders, while ensuring the protection of the essential personnel that care for the over 3,200 horses that are stabled at Gulfstream Park, Gulfstream Park West and Palm Meadows.
The following protocols have been implemented at Santa Anita Park, Golden Gate Fields and the Maryland Jockey Club and are now in force at Gulfstream Park, Gulfstream Park West and Palm Meadows.
Controlled Access and Documentation:
- Following recommended guidelines by health and government authorities, limited gatherings will be enforced in compliance with current recommendations for social distancing.
- These specific areas include the Receiving Barn, Saddling Barn, Jockeys’ Room, Grandstand, Track Kitchen, Morning Clocker Stands.
- Only horses racing and shipping from in-state training centers – and accompanied by essential, licensed personnel - will be allowed to the stable entry gates.
- Once at the stable entry gate, essential personnel will be tested by American Medical Response (AMR).
- Horses will only be allowed to enter the stable areas of Gulfstream Park, Gulfstream Park West and Palm Meadows between 5 a.m. and 3 p.m.
Post a Comment
Please post your comment to our blog. It will be moderated and approved in a timely manner, then posted. Thanks for reading !
HorseRacing FLA staff